The Scottish Wemyss Pottery
13th November 2017
Many of us are familiar with Wemyss ware, which was always boldly painted with bright colours often decorated with flowers, fruits and animals.
Wemyss ware was produced by Robert Heron & Son at the Fife Pottery between 1882-1930. The factory was near Kirkcaldy in Fife and produced a large range of pieces, many of which were an instant success. These range from larger pieces such as garden seats and umbrella stands to a very popular animal range which include cats, and pigs, and rare rabbit models. These animal models where always expensive and could cost up to 30 shillings when they were new and are very much sought after by avid collectors today. The name Wemyss Ware is believed to have come from the Wemyss family who owned the neighbouring castle and took a great interest in the development of the pottery and provided patronage for the pieces and Thomas Goode in London became the sole outlet in England. It is rumoured that Queen Victoria acquired a number of pieces for her collection.
In 1930 the factor ceased trading due to the economic depression but the designs and pattern were acquired by The Bovey pottery Co., who produced similar wares marked “Plichta”. The inclusion of Wemyss ware in an auction always creates a great deal of interest and over the years we have seen many excellent prices. The Cabbage Rose pattern is the most usual pattern, but they are often decorated with farmyard scenes or mottos as shown in the Dog bowl “Every Dog has his day”, which we recently sold for £450.